Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Saturday, January 23, 2010

"Swallow This" by Mark Phillips

It was just a week or two ago that I first noticed this book in one of those quirky catalogs I seem to get in the mail every day. The catalog's description of the book included the questions, "What can you say to a wine store clerk to get good wine every time? Why is buying pricey wine a waste of money? When can you add ice cubes to wine--or microwave it?" This sounded like a book that was right up my alley, and finding a cheap copy of it was a bonus.

It just arrived yesterday and I have already devoured it. The book is a fun read as well as being informative, albeit in an off-beat and irreverent way. I think that someone who already knows a lot about wine may not really appreciate it, but for people (like me!) whose extent of wine knowledge is "I like it," I definitely recommend this book. Most books I get from paperbackswap I repost when I'm finished reading, but I plan to keep this one as a reference guide.

No comments: