Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"Coyote Blue" by Christopher Moore

I needed something silly and quick after that last book. Nothing better for silly and quick than Christopher Moore. This is Moore's second novel (from 1994) and I think it's a better story than the first of his that I read (which was his third, Bloodsucking Fiends, from 1995).

It was fun to find the appearance of an "old friend" from A Dirty Job. Never thought I would meet Minty Fresh again. I was impressed that Moore was able to make his main character, Sam, into a likable and sympathetic character, especially since Sam doesn't have many likable qualities. I also wondered if Moore was looking at a photo of Britney Spears (pre-head-shaving-meltdown, of course) when he first described Calliope. (The similarities soon dropped by the wayside, though. Calliope had more of Jessica Simpson's airheadedness and Shirley MacLaine's weird spirituality).

I find I don't have much to say about this book, other than that it was a fun diversion. It hasn't helped that I didn't post about it right away. I guess I thought maybe something profound would come to me, but this isn't the sort of book that induces much introspection. That's fine, though. Everybody can't be Kafka. (See, now I sound all literary, right? I actually have never read anything by Kafka. I should probably put him on my list but I'm kind of scared to. I don't know, maybe I can handle Metamorphosis. Guy turns into giant bug, and it's just a novella? Yeah, I need to put it on my list. That way I can stop saying "I actually have never read anything by Kafka.")

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I totally forgot to add my take on the "Reading Group Guide" at the end of the book. I can't decide if it's a joke sanctioned by Moore, or if it was written by someone who Just Doesn't Get It. I mean, the questions are the usual fare for a "Reading Group Guide," but they attempt to take this book way too seriously. Asking us to discuss racial stereotypes in a completely irreverent book, or to "identify and discuss key points in the book that mark a turning point in Sam's journey"? Sheesh. At least there were a few questions Moore might approve of (like, "What Native American name would you select for yourself and why?" or, "If you were reincarnated, what would you like to return as?" both of which have much potential for hilarity to ensue).

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

I haven't read any of Moore's books yet but have a few on my shelf. I need a good laugh to start this summer going.
Hey Neighbor! Visiting from The Book Blogger Hop!
Love your blog layout and wallpaper-awesome.

http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

Kathy said...

Thanks for visiting, Lisa! Glad you like my layout. I'm so glad for sites like shabbyblogs.com because I never could have done this myself. Which Moore books do you have? I may be able to suggest which to start with . . . you may find him an acquired taste.

I forgot to mention my favorite quote from this book. "A turd rolled in rhinestones is a turd nonetheless." This was Moore's description of Las Vegas. Fitting, no?