Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman

This book was nothing if not fanciful and entertaining. It's an urban fantasy set in London Below (found in the Underground tunnels and sewers beneath, you guessed it, London Above). Peopled by an eclectic and unique cast of characters, none of whom are remotely boring or mundane, the boring and mundane Richard Mayhew of London Above finds his eminently normal life turned inside out when he renders aid to an injured girl from Below. Richard loses everything he had in his dull, comfortable life Above, as if he never had it in the first place, and has nowhere to go but the less-than-comfortable dank darkness of London Below. Adventures, betrayals, courage, and deaths ensue.

I was surprised to learn that this book is a novelization of a 1996 TV miniseries. (This is not obvious, even in retrospect. It's very well-written, unlike the usual Cash In on the Hype novelizations.) It was also performed as a BBC radio drama starring Mr Tumnus and Sherlock (among others), which I think would be fun to listen to if I had 3 1/2 hours free. Maybe on my next road trip?

2 comments:

Ti said...

I know he is wildly popular but I tried to read Ocean at the End of the Lane just the other day and put it down within ten minutes. I guess his writing is not my thing.

Kathy said...

I would describe his writing as simultaneously dark and tongue-in-cheek. It reminds me of Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide, etc).