Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Friday, May 24, 2024

“The Orange and Other Poems” by Wendy Cope


I may not be a poet but
You’ll humor me, I hope
Or get to know a better one: 
Her name is Wendy Cope

She wrote a little poem called 
“The Orange” (short and sweet)
I read its mirror image
Through a window by my seat

I’d never even heard of it
Until that very day 
But when I read “The Orange,” well,
I knew what I would say: 

“Please sir may I have some more?”
I’d like to own the book 
I don’t mean to be greedy but 
I had to have a look

And I’m so glad I asked to get 
A copy of my own
I surely don’t regret it and 
I know I’m not alone

I read it as I rode the train
From Waterloo to Surrey 
Enjoying every moment of the trip
Without a worry

Sometimes it was funny
Sometimes it was sweet
But always, like “The Orange,”
It was good enough to eat 

I tried to take my time and think
Tasting as I read 
I related to the poems
As the words flowed in my head

I really loved this little book
Of that you can be sure
And when I turned the final page
I wished that there were more

Buy this book of poems
Smile and savor it
Open it and start to read
You’ll never want to quit.

No comments: