Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Monday, September 23, 2024

“The Two Loves of Sophie Strom” by Sam Taylor

When I'm down and troubled . . . all I've gotta do is read. It's been a rough week, but I had a day off work today, and I used it to its best advantage: I read an awesome book. 

You may find it difficult to avoid taking me for a shill, considering the fact that the author is also my co-blogger (and my co-everything, really), but nothing can change the fact that this is SUCH A GOOD STORY. I mean, I actually did read several different renditions prior to this finished one (which is part of the reason I didn't re-read it as soon as I could get my hands on it--I just needed a little time for the forgettery to set in first, so that it could seem almost new for me) and while every draft I read was great, this beautiful, polished, shiny version was the best. 

This is one of those excellent books where it's so real that you live it, and then there's the extra whipped cream and cherry on top: that one thing that makes it different, better, more intriguing than real life. That one little magical twist, something that couldn't actually happen in real life except maybe, JUST MAYBE, it really could? 

The story starts with Max Spiegelman growing up in Vienna just before the second World War. One night changes his life completely. One night changes his life completely. (Once you've read the book, you'll understand that wasn't a typo.) Max is half Jewish, which ends up a much more significant matter as time goes by. And Max's story is so rich and complex and compelling that I'm just sitting here trying to figure out how I can sum it up in a few sentences without spoilers and I'm utterly failing. And where does Sophie Strom fit in, you ask? She's only the love of Max's life . . and his other life . . .

Unfortunately, if you are in the U.S., you are unlikely to find this novel in a bookstore near you. It has only been published by Faber in the UK and Commonwealth. But if you have a chance to pick up a copy, I highly recommend it. 

Somebody totally needs to make a movie out of this book. Or, actually, a TV series! That's the way to go these days. 


No comments: