Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Friday, June 16, 2023

“Writers & Lovers” by Lily King

I loved this book and I hate that I put off reading it for so long. And when I did read it, I started by gulping down more than half of it on a flight, but then I skipped a few days and read the rest of it on a train journey. 

This is the story of Casey, a grieving, anxiety-ridden waitress whose life has seemingly gone nowhere due to her desire to write novels. We hear about her past loves and are introduced to the new ones she is just now meeting. Funnily enough, it struck me on page 91 that I was reading a first-person female narrator--just like the last (terrible) book I read--but THIS was real writing. It's funny to think that this novel and my previous read are both books . . . they can't really be in the same category. 

I must admit that I did become annoyed at the end of Writers & Lovers due to the fairy tale book auction. It's like I was jealous or something, which makes no sense because I haven’t written a book, nor am I planning to. 

No comments: