Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Saturday, August 3, 2024

“How to Change Your Mind” by Michael Pollan

What a long, strange trip it’s been. But . . . mostly just long. I’ve literally been reading this book for months. (Full disclosure: this was my bathroom book. So I only read it in short nibbles.)

This is journalist Michael Pollan's book about psychedelic drugs. Most of his other books (none of which I've read) are about food and eating, so this one seems a bit of a departure, but I assume the tone and treatment are similar. 

I really loved the title of this book, which to me indicated a guide on becoming more open-minded. Of course, I knew (because it's right there on the cover) that it was about psychedelics, so I assumed it wouldn't be the most socially acceptable guide to follow. But the reality wasn't the book I really wanted to read. I just couldn’t care less about the history of psychedelic research (and that seems to take up most of the book). I would have been more interested in reading about details of, or experiences with, microdosing (which, while mentioned, was definitely a minor topic). So, not that I regret reading this book by any means, but I will be glad to get started on a new bathroom book.


No comments: