Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Saturday, August 3, 2019

"Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Notice the location of the photo? 
I can sum up this book in one quote: "I never get bored when I'm with you. All kinds of off-the-wall things happen, but that much I can say for sure--being with you's never boring."

This was my first Murakami book, which for some reason I expected to be a difficult slog, but it was nothing of the sort. As Sam says, reading Murakami is like eating candy--easy and enjoyable. There's always something happening to keep your interest.

This is the story of the toughest fifteen-year-old in the world who runs away from home and ends up working in a small library. It's also the story of a simple-minded man who can talk to cats. And there's a cameo by Johnny Walker, and Colonel Sanders, and women who may or may not be the mother or sister of the runaway. It's on the bizarre side, but in a good way.

I think between Sam's take and my experience I have come to the conclusion that reading Murakami can be as difficult as you make it. I probably should have thought about this book more deeply than I did; I'm sure there are all kinds of layers I could have peeled back, because it's full of metaphors and symbolism. But it's not a reading requirement, and I was on vacation, so I took the easy route.

Sam (who has read at least three of them) thinks it's really only necessary to read one Murakami book. Agree or disagree?


1 comment:

Ti said...

One of my faves. Murakami's books are always a palate cleanser for me. They are like nothing else and when I need to get all scrubby clean for my next read I crave his writing. I just wish his translations were done quicker because once he writes a new book it's a good two years before we get to see it in the US.