Give me books, fruit, french wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors. --John Keats

Friday, August 27, 2010

Added to my wish list

Inspired by Allie's retrospective on the books she has marked off her list over the past year, I thought I might flip that idea on its head and tell you about the books I've recently added to my Leaning Tower of TBR. I have not yet acquired copies of the first four, but they're the most recent titles I've added to my List of Books I Want to Read.

The Vanishing by Tim Krabbe. I think what sold me on this one is the way Chris described it as "terrifying" with a "masterful use of suspense." I must admit that hearing it is short was also quite appealing to one who is STILL floundering in the middle of Anna Karenina.

My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares. I've avoided other titles by Brashares ever since The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (not that it was a horrible book; it just was not quite my type, though it might have been if I were twelve), but when Zara said Memory was even better than The Time Traveler's Wife, I changed my mind.

The Book of Lost Things by John Connellly. We have already established that I love fairy tale retellings.  As if that weren't enough, Jess's description of the story as "far freakier" than Pan's Labyrinth really caught my attention.

Rock Island Line by David Rhodes. The tipping point with this one was probably when Lisa said it was "dark and brilliant at the same time." The story she relates of the author is also pretty compelling.

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. Renae chose this for our Book Club meeting in October. Unless it's just my literary amnesia getting in the way, I don't recall that I've ever read anything by Wharton, although I've had this one and Ethan Frome on my TBR list for ages. Not only that, but I actually own a 1907 edition of Madame de Treymes which I've not read. Shame on me! I'll need to do something about that soon.

6 comments:

B said...

I've picked up "My Name is Memory" a couple of times at the bookstore but haven't yet bought it. I'm eager to hear you thoughts after you read it.

She said...

I second The Book of Lost Things! Can't go wrong with communist gnomes ;p

Allie said...

Oh, you need to read Wharton!! She is WONDERFUL. Although, I have not read that title (I am kind of saving it, if you will).
:)

Kathy said...

Brenna--don't hold your breath, but I certainly plan to get to it eventually! I still feel a little iffy about it but I'll be happy to be your guinea pig. ;)

She--Oh, there are communist gnomes? I didn't know that! I'll have to bump it up. :)

Allie--what is your favorite Wharton book? And, is Mme de Treymes the one you're saving? I can't believe I haven't read it, it's so short (147 pgs) and the words aren't squeezed in very tight on the pages, either. May be a nice antidote to Anna Karenina, which is the exact opposite. (So many pages, microscopic typeface).

anothercookiecrumbles said...

I loved Book of Lost Things - read it earlier this year, and it's one of those books I never ended up "reviewing." Hope you enjoy it - it's dark, and gripping, and some of the fairytale re-tellings are incredible. By the way, if you like fairytale retellings, I'd recommend Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber and other stories. I was hooked from the beginning, despite not being a massive fan of short stories.

Got Age of Innocence on the shelf, and hopefully, I'll get down to it eventually. :)

Kathy said...

Cookie--I hadn't heard of that book of short stories, so thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check it out.